The Architekturzentrum Wien, located in the heart of Vienna at the MuseumsQuartier, is Austria's main museum of architecture. It opened in 1993 as a center for exhibitions, events, and research on the subject of architecture and the culture of building. The Az W and its varied programs have earned a high reputation both in Austria and internationally.
In addition to the permanent exhibition "a_show: Austrian Architecture in the 20th and 21st Centuries", changing exhibitions on regional and international subjects reflect the tremendous diversity of contemporary architecture.
Work presentations, panel discussions, congresses, symposium, and series of events provide more in-depth engagement with the subject of architecture and the culture of building.
Tours, excursions, and workshops are designed to suit various age groups and target audiences interested in exploring the world of architecture.
As a center of knowledge and research, the Az W houses a specialist public reading library, an ever-expanding database of buildings (www.nextroom.at), and an online encyclopedia of architects (www.architektenlexikon.at) providing details on more than 1,000 architects active between 1770 and 1945.
As the Austrian's main architecture museum, the Az W's primary responsibility is the active conservation of Austria's architectural heritage. Its holdings on 20th- and 21st-century architecture comprise material from the collections and estates of Austrian architects, the Achleitner Archives, and individual projects.
The Architekturzentrum Wien's café-restaurant, designed by French architect duo Anne Lacaton and Jean-Philippe Vassa, is a special attraction. In addition to a wide selection of food and beverages, it features an oriental tiled ceiling designed by Vienna-based Turkish artist Asiye Kolbai-Kafalier.